Sunday, April 27, 2008

There's something women like about a STATIONWAGON MAN?

plum tuckered out
barely two years old and worn out

sunday nap, booger and all


sunday nap, shiner and all



sunday nap, he's cute when he's sleeping-quiety too :)




The first wagon...isn't she cute? I purchased her back at the start of residency in 2003 when I needed a commuter car. I liked her because she could haul 7 people (as much as my minivan) plus she got 25 mpg for the daily round trip of 22 miles. I never thought I'd like a vehicle as much as I've liked this wagon. She's hauled my family around, substituted for the van when it needed to go to the shop, been reliable for me. I've folded down the back sleep and slept in her on some long trips, my brother in law interviewed at 10 dental schools in 2 weeks and slept in her countless nights somewhere between Minnesota and New York. She is my original '93 camry wagon... don't even make em any more... so sad.












Well, now that the family went from 7 to 8 members, we don't all fit in the wagon....sad day. I have been doing some research and the full sized stationwagons are pretty good options for affordability (you can buy one for a few thousand), mileage (19-25 mpg), and passenger space (8 people!), plus, they are just so snappy and sharp (equivalent to a motorcyle). So I succumbed and bought this 1991 wagon on ebay last month. Little blue and big blue now are getting to know each other. She gets over 20 mpg, hauls around 8-9 kids, cheap to insure, and she is lightning fast with the 350 LT1 corvette engine :) My full sized van gets about 15 mpg and so Lani won't really drive it much unless the whole family goes. I thought this car made a fine addition to our "used car lot drive way". I now own 4 vehicles with 3 of them not worth 4K all together. In our posh neighborhood, I am the white trash driving down the street in my rusty camry or my tinted windowed 91 custom cruiser.... BIG DADDY'S in town! All the neighbors and their mercedes, SUV's, and 50k vehicles just shudder when we come clunking around the corner, I love it. All I need now is for Mike to show me where I can buy a jump suit. Rats, if I wasn't endowed, I could get myself one of those corrugated wife beaters and make all the mothers in the neighborhood hurry their children into the houses as I appeared on the scene.






















12 comments:

Jackie said...

That has got to take some talent, sleeping on the stools like he is. That can't be comfortable...
How did he get the shiner?

Lani said...

He got the shiner while climbing up to sneak food from the cupboards (His absolute favorite passtime--DRIVES ME CRAZY!), and his big bro. Max pulled him down, injuring both parties in the process.

Lani said...

OK, Lani speaking here. Let me be the first to comment on this nightmare in my driveway. The only two purposes it has served so far have been: 1)to get in my way when I'm parking and 2)to get a good laugh when I tell the story at a party.

Sherdon searched ebay for over a month for a new wagon (I thought his old one was fine), and I think he won the absolute worst one out there. I think the wagons all began to blur together and he was just bidding away at all sorts of wagons, thinking he'd "never win at that low of a bid". Well, he did win, I'm sorry to say.

I wasn't too excited when I saw the pictures, but I chose to wait until I saw the real deal before I passed judgement. That wasn't necessary. The real deal was a disappointment in my mind. Some Jamaican guy delivered it just off the freeway around midnight a few weeks after Sherdon won the auction. I went back to sleep when he called to say he was in our town ready to deliver, but I awoke with my baby at 2 a.m. and Sherdon wasn't home. Oh, great! This dumb wagon has cost me my husband! He's been murdered by a Jamaican who made off with his sporty wagon!

OK, well, I called Sherdon and he happily answered the phone, causing me to wonder if Sherdon had run off with some Jamaican and his sporty wagon. But no, the story was that he somehow managed to lock the keys inside the wagon )with it still running, I believe--ask him) and he had to stay and wait for USAA to come unlock it. Then he took it for a pleasure cruise, just to "see what it could do". Well, at least my husband was safe.

I met the wag. the next morning as I walked outside and saw a sad sight, leaking oil or some other dark fluid on my driveway, and missing a large piece of metal siding near the door. NICE. (Sherdon said the piece flew off while he was going 80 at 2 a.m. "testing her out.") So, first impressions weren't good, but it only got worse when I finally got around to opening the door a week or two later. I've driven it about 30 feet and I know enough to know that it isn't going to be my little "run-around" vehicle.

Now, the only thing left to do is see if I can sell a car on ebay without my husband's knowledge, like he bought one without mine.

-Lani--a desperate housewife--does anyone want a wagon?

Lani said...

Hey woman! Get your own blog, this is mine. And yes you are desperate (and have been for over 11 years now) and you are a housewife (for at least 9 years now). Your just jealous cause a woman driving a stationwagon doesn't have the same mistique that a man does when he rolls in one....

Colton said...

Wow, this banter is highly entertaining, it should be a blog by itself.

I can just see the neighbors "Oh, here comes the half-Mexicans in their station wagons"

Awesome.

One of my favorite things to do is to live up to peoples' stereotypes when they aren't necessarily bad (hence my apostasy).

Cheers!

Dawn said...

that reminds me of the parking lot we had going on when tara, destry and I were driving. Not to mention what mom drove and what dad coasted off the hill from the ranch. Good times.

Anne said...

Sounds like a lot of excitement down there in Texas! I hope that everyone heals from their wounds and the car lasts as long as you want it to. Steven bought a truck once without my knowledge. I went to work and he went to Provo and bought a truck! I personally didn't like it and it seated less people than the truck he got rid of. Isn't there something in the Ensign that deals with talking and communicating with your wife???? Have fun! :O)

Crys said...

Sherdon...you are a funny funny guy. We wish we could see you guys and your crazy cars freaking out all the SUV moms :)

erin said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..oh you two crack me up! I'm very proud of you Sherdon for not running away with that Jamaican..now THAT would have been ugly...losing my brother to some sell on ebay :)
and who cares what other people think when it comes to what we drive...you can laugh back at all of them when they can't even afford to put gas in those insanely high priced vehicles. Hey! you could even start a taxi service with your new wagon! You'll be the richest person on the block! :)

The boys are too sweet for words..LOVE those Sunday afternoon nap's! :)

Colton said...

Dude, that sounds like a deal to me! If its on you, I'll eat sushi every night of the week.

Sariah,Chief Editor said...

As one of my Bishop's told me when he saw me drive up in our wrecked Diahatsu (we drove it 5 years after it was wrecked), "There aren't very many people with enought self-worth to drive cars like that. Na, I reckon you're the only one I know."

That is one thing most of us with Finch blood don't lack, self-worth. Good to see it made it into Sherdon's DNA.

Cordova Family said...

Hilarious!!!