I admit that some people (my wife and kids) think I am the modern Grinch when it comes to Christmas. My likes and don't likes about Christmas probably explain this "grinchness" that some may see in me.
After my parents were divorced when I was 12, I admit that this time of year has been very uncomfortable for me. Things could be scarce. My dad was rarely around and struggling with his own personal demons, my mom and us kids were usually the charity case of the ward. So this time of year just seem to accentuate the deficiencies in my home growing up. Then something magic happened to me as a missionary.
In Nicaragua in 1993 (my first Christmas in the mission), I was training a new companion and he was struggling mightily. I knew he was terribly homesick, frustrated with the language, missing his personal possessions (video games, his toyota pickup, his "own room", and other things). Christmas in Nicaragua was so different than anything I had ever experienced up to that point. No trees, no presents, no smells, no snow, no typical songs, lots of liquor and general debauchery. The gospel became a little tougher to teach and I am sure our "down" spirits didn't help.
I was determined to break this bad funk and so I took some money that was sent to me by some dear friends and I asked Sister Rodriguez, with whom we lived, if she had ever made cake. She got up every morning of the week, save Sunday, and made bread by hand and then carried it up the hill, on big pans to a guy who had an oven. All morning long, on her head, she carried it to bake it and then sell it throughout the day.
I gave her all the money ($50 which was almost equal to the entire amount of money we lived on for an entire month) and she got the supplies. We made about 13 cakes of all weird sizes and shapes. Christmas morning after making cakes and frosting them, my companion and I went out all over town handing out pieces to people. I'll never forget as long as I live, walking down the poor barrios with naked kids playing in the sewer water running down the middle of the dirt streets and then just handing big pieces of cake out to the stunned victims. I remember walking down the street and looking back and seeing little kids just standing there stunned, holding this big piece of cake in their little dirty hands, not knowing what it was or what to do with it. It was awesome and I realized that in this poor country (second poorest on this hemisphere) that the things I associated with a "merry Christmas", were all just materialistic things and that this whole time of Christmas misery was because I thought about what I didn't have instead of what I could do to just blow someone else away with genuine surprise and giving. I repeated it the next year right before coming home. Still, hands down, the greatest Christmas of my life were in Nicaragua with people who had really no earthy possessions.
So, still to this day, I hate buying gifts and receiving bought gifts. It is like a personal insult to the sweet experience I had way back in the mountains of Nicaragua. I like genuine love and associated giving but I can't stand to see my kids fixated on "things" or going to a store because of the commercialization of Christmas. This is the first thing that makes me the grinch. I loved Elder Uchtdorf's talk in the Christmas devotional and I had thought the same things that hopefully this year with the economy on the skids that it would temper the materialistic -"things"-frenzy that has become Christmas.
So the second thing that makes me the grinch is that I for the most part don't like all the candy and sweets of Christmas (I don't care for candy anyways and my heart is on what I do like at Christmas).
So now you all know why I am the grinch.
Now let me tell you about what I absolutely love about Christmas:
1. Sitting in front of a fire with the lights down low,with the one(s) you love, drinking hot chocolate and just being mezmorized by the warmth and flickering of the flames
2. Tamales- my dad used to make tamales around this time of year and it is my first Christmas food love. I can't give my heart away to the cheap treats of Christmas when there is something so glorious and pure about tamales at Chrismas. The smell of that corn and red chilly cooking and steaming together.
3. Citrus- I love the grapefruit for breakfast, oranges and clementines all day. The smell, the taste, the wonder of the simple pure gift of citrus at this time of year. I call this "God's Christmas Candy" because it comes this wonderous time of year.
4. Eggnog. This wonderous drink so rich and creamy with its one of a kind taste and smell.
5. A new love is my wife's Family Christmas DVD which she originally made for me 3 years ago but I was so touched by it that we decided to give it as a christmas card and now we have given it for 3 years (including this year). It is a wonderful way to relive the year for me and to remember the blessings, fun and craziness of living in this family. This is the kind of gift that can't be bought and is like "Nicaragua Cake" to me.
6. Calling up and talking to old friends and distant family and renewing that connection of love and friendship.
I don't want clothes (I hardly wear 1/10 of what is in my closet). I don't want electronics (I don't love things). My dream is to have a Christmas with absolutely no purchased item and to just sit around and listen to Christmas music and give those things that can only be created by love and thoughtfulness and not by the power of filthy lucre..... Now you know Mr. C is the new grinch!
16 comments:
I don't know what to say besides that was a great post. Its nice to see something meaningful in the blogosphere.
Although I have to admit that I absolutely love giving away presents. If I was rich I would buy a present for every single person that I know. Alas, I'm a college student. I can't even buy presents for all of my siblings.
You are a true Saint--good blog!
We think of you when we drink egg nog. I get frustrated with my kids too, and when we do service they whine and complain and I just want to slap them. But I resist, because it doesn't seem to help to lecture them. Someday we're going to have a presentless Christmas.
And. . . do I get a DVD??
I love to give as well, but it's really hard to think of what I'd want if I were asked (nobody asks mom anyways). I like your cake, I'd love to get my kids away from the commercialization of Christmas. It really helped this year to get rid of cable... Mery Christmas! can't wait to see your wife's genious in your christmas video!
That was a sweet mission story. I almost cried. It might have been the pregnancy hormones but I'm going to blame it on the Christmas sprit. I understand your feelings. As a kid I was always dreaded going back to school when people would ask what you got. Now as an adult there isn't really anything I want. Jason either. I got him socks this year. Lame I know but all his church socks have holes so it seemed like a good gift. As for the kids well the best gift we got Ezra was little legos. I spent a whole morning building him helicopters and cars. I wish it was the only gift he got :) I'm a mean mom. As for me I love tamales as well. But not the ones with raisins. Yuck! Merry Christmas Cordova Family :)
Loved the post. I wish I were closer to have some of those divine tamales your dad makes. I haven't had breakfast yet and that looks sooooo good.!! This year we did homemade gifts and that has been fun. We don't have TV(cable) so my kids haven't really asked for much this year, and that has been nice! Have a Merry Christmas Sherdon and Lani!!!
Very nice post! Christmas is changing for me. I'm not sure what it is, but the magic of the season is different. I don't have any desire to fill my already full house, with one more silly toy! I use to think Steven was kind of the Grinch. Now I wonder if I am. Enjoy the Tamales.
You know I feel the same way about Christmas. For some reason there's not alot of joy in the season due to our childhood. I always felt like a burden to mom and the ward we happened to be living in at the time. And always embarrassed the next Sunday at church thinking that everybody knew we were the charity case.
I think I've handled my feelings the wrong way after reading your posts.
One of the good memories I have is spending quality time with cousins,aunts,uncles and grandma and grandpa.
I remember grandma and grandpa taking us in right before Christmas one year, and driving grandma crazy eating her candy canes off her tree,(they were the rainbow kind.) I'll never forget her bedding us down in the kitchen to sleep so we didn't see the gifts under the tree on Christmas eve. I also remember how many times she yelled at us to go to sleep :)
Do you remember carroling with the cousins in Eagar on a flatbed trailor, then drinking hot chocolate and eating treats at an aunt and uncle's house,(I think it was Cliff and Tammy's house??)
I remember mom taking us to a soup kitchen and serving dinner on Christmas eve to the homeless in Pocatello. These are my only good memories of Christmas.
I've had a hard time disassociating Christmas from my siblings, and wish we could always be together with our children this time of year.
Love you, and don't be a grinch. Get your family on board the same way you did your companion :)
thanks for sharing that story Sherdon. I always loved Christmas because thats when we got to be with Mom's family, especially Grandma and Grandpa. Being in their home, listening to the "Little Drummer Boy" on their record player(they still have it :)) and OHHH..those AZ oranges, the smell of citrus mixed with candy canes. The best!
I also remember being 14 years old and one very loving older brother made sure each of his siblings had something special to open on Christmas morning. I will always remember that sweater and earing's..not because it was the very first thing I ever owned bought at the mall (lol), but because it was a selfless act of love that my older brother had worked so hard to earn the money for..then never thought of himself.
Christmas will be different this year for us, too. Nothing has gone how I had planned (LOL), but I have truly been shown the true meaning of this wondrous season. I have been shown all my many blessing's, my children are not motherless, I am here to love them another day...I'm also able to tell you how much I love you and what a special brother I have in you. Thanks for always making my Christmas's so special. (well except for when we went tubing, hehe)
Love you all very much,
your sister, Erin
So I take it Lani is stuck with all the shopping then? :) I loved your story and it brings me back to a level of true Christmas Spirit so thank you!
I like gift giving so long as it is a reflection of your love and appreciation for the individual and not for show or pride or pure-shock value. That said, we love Lani's DVDs and are always amazed at how much time must go into such a thoughtful gift. Those are some real treasures!
Great post, we too love your Christmas DVD, I wish I were as talented, so we'll just send a pic of our crew. Merry Christmas!
That was a great post, and a fabulous story. I like to give gifts when I can think of something of value, whether store bought, hand made, or given as an act of service.
I can't stand meaningless and/or impractical gifts, where you are giving something just to give something...or the endless stinking trinkety beanie baby garbage (to me) items a certain family member loves to send us.
However, she is a person whose love language is gifts, and she loves that kind of stuff. It really does make her happy, and she is a tangible kind of person. She needs to hold it in her hands to feel the love.
My love language is acts of service, so I struggle to receive her packages with the feeling she would have intended for me to have. Keeping in mind her intention really helps me to appreciate what she is trying to say with her gift.
And can I say I LOVED those tamales. The Christmas Eve we spent with you guys was so fun. We miss you.
(PS If you haven't ever read it before, I recommend The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman.)
That is truly a beautiful and inspiring post! I loved reading it. And we love your DVD every year. It's awesome!
Love the mission story.
You guys are awesome.
But I still hope there are some clothes for me under the tree. lol.
I'm superficial that way. ;)
Okay, so I LOVE the new family picture. You guys look great!!!
And does Talmage actually have light hair?!?
Hey Nerds! Got your DVD today and I am asking you to remove our names from your list. I have been hurt too much this Christmas season because of comments from my kids while watching your DVD. The comments were "I want a Dad like that!" and "I wish we had that much fun!" Sniff Sniff...I guess I'll have to take more pics and remind them that we do fun things too! Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing the memories!
jb
I know this is an older blog, I'm catching up on things, and I still wanted to comment on your blog.
You helped me remember the most memerable christmas I ever had growing up. One year my parents decided to not buy any christmas presents at all. As a kid I was stunned with my childhood intelect and selfishness and thought christmas wasn't christmas without presents. What we did instead was go to Pheonix on christmas eve and went to a homeless shelter and helped prepare food and served it to the homeless and those in need. After they ate, we handed out gifts that were donated to all that were there. The feelings I got from the reactions on their faces is something I will never forget. Then we just got some things we needed in the upcoming year with cheap after christmas sales. I can't remember anything I have recieved in the past years, I can remember alot of what I gave, and what we gave as a family there was the best christmas gift I ever gave.
Post a Comment